Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Il Diario di Eva!


March 14, 2009
Today as I was exploring I passed a theater (not a “ruin”) and saw that they were playing the Diary of Eve, or Diaro di Eva. I got really excited, I had just played in the Diaries of Adam and Eve last Spring. I went in and asked the man at the desk if he spoke English. He said to wait a second and he would get his friend. Another man came out and I asked when the next show was and what time it was at. He said tonight at 9. I thanked him and took a brochure to think about it. I called my mom to see what she thought about me going to the play. She agreed that I should definitely take the opportunity to go see it. I hung up the phone and went down to the theater and bought a ticket. I got to pick my seat and I sat pretty close to the front and got a student discount so my ticket was only 11 Euro! I was really excited to see it. I headed back to the apartment to have dinner and get ready. Once I made it back, I made pasta and then showered and got ready. I headed to the tram stop around 8:00 because I couldn’t remember how long it had taken me to walk from the end of Argentina to the theater. I got off the tram and started walking and then realized that I had only been about 5 minutes away so I had a good 30 minutes to kill before I could go in and wait to be seated. I wandered up to Capitol Hill and just sat in the Piazza enjoying the quiet and looking for Stars. I walked around a little and checked out the view of the Roman forum at night and then headed back down to the theater. I went in around 8:40 and they were just opening the lobby. I sat and waited and listened to the live piano player. He was playing amazing contemporary classical music. I absolutely loved it! When I got up to go to my seat I walked by and mouthed “Bravo” to him and he said “Grazie.” I took my seat inside and anxiously awaited the start of the show. The theater lights finally dimmed and the curtains opened. The beginning of the play was strange and I didn’t recognize it, first of all because it was in Italian, and secondly because it wasn’t part of the version of the play I had done. This one had a little Darwin-influenced twist. From what I understood it was Darwin and his wife sitting discussing the creation or evolution of man. The wife pulls out the Diaro di Eva and then the story goes into the one that I recognized. It was really funny because even though it was in Italian I knew what was going on. Adam walked on and put up a ladder and then assembled the Tree prop. As the voice of God talked, he scattered fake fruit from a basket all over the stage and then the voice warned him not to eat the fruit from that tree. The fake tree had huge apples dangling from it’s felt leaves. Adam fell asleep and God created Eve. Eve came on stage and began writing in her diary describing her first few days of life. “I arrived yesterday…” and so on. The actress was extremely bright and lively. I think it could have been toned down just a little bit but it was extremely entertaining. I really enjoyed the rest of the part that I understood. Near the end of the play, they went back to the Darwin part, which I still only caught bits and pieces of. At the end they had curtain call and all the characters took their bows, about 5 times each. With that my night in the Italian theater ended and I walked home remembering all the fun I had had performing that play!

No comments: