Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Church and the Market

Santa Maria in Trastevere
March 1, 2009

. I left around 8:30 and hopped on the tram to go to Santa Maria in Trastevere. I got there and walked in and the priest was already starting his sermon. There were probably only 15 people in the church so I just sat down and stayed for the rest of the service. It was really neat. I loved that it was in Italian, granted I don’t know Italian, but there’s just something about mass in another language that I find magical. It really just gives me the chills. I caught on at certain points. There was no music would be my only complaint, but it was beautiful in side and I really enjoyed it. After the service was over, I stayed around to say a prayer and then Kerry came in. She was going to come with me but wanted to get her friend on the train so she was going to meet me there. I told her that church was already over. We got up to find another service. I did go and ask a lady what time the services were. I didn’t get out much other than “Mi scusi, signora.” And then she said, “La mesa dieci mezzo” and I asked her “La prima mesa?” She replied, “otto mezzo.” So we left to find another church and went into Paschula Baybla? It’s on the road we take to school. We popped in and it was at about the same point that I had gone into Santa Maria. We went and sat down. I really liked this service too. The church was smaller, but of course still beautiful, and there were more people. The best part was that they had music, guitars and four part harmony. After church we went back and went to the market. It was just bustling with people. We shopped around for about an hour and a half and it started to rain. I bought an espresso maker, a shirt for Kenneth (so he couldn’t get mad this time), a wallet and a necklace for Kae. I lost Kerry in the crowd and just wandered on my own some more. I went down to one of the wings of the market and looked around there. As I was making my way back up to the mainstreet, I was walking next to a man. Then a strange thing happened. A voice with a thick English accent yelled, “You better watch yourself you dirty pig bastard,” and kicked the guy that I was walking next to in the butt. Just to point out, this man was pushing 70, and was just another tourist in the market. I was so confused, the other man was Italian, turned around gave a confused look then a glare and muttered something in Italian and continued on his way. It was a very strange occurrence. I have no idea what provoked it. I just continued on my way and stopped to get pizza and a suppli from Mondial before going back up to the apartment. It was a rainy day out so I really didn’t feel like heading out to sight see or anything. So I spent the afternoon researching my next few trips and attempting to get a start on homework. I booked my Dublin/Cork trip. After a day of doing nothing, well watching half of a season of Medium and some major facebooking and skyping, I got dinner at Mondial, had a kebab and then took a quick nap, hoping I would be rejuvenated and want to do some homework. I got up and really didn’t accomplish anything. I ended up going back to bed shortly after.

No comments: