Wednesday, February 18, 2009

My first trip down the Mountain!


Around 7:00 we started to arrive to our destination. Someone described it as though we were arriving on the polar express…it was true. Funny but true. You could see the little lights of the town in the mountain valley as we drove through the winding mountain roads. There was smoke pouring out of the chimneys it was really just picture perfect. As we pulled into Interlaken the sun began to come up and we all got our roommates and checked into our rooms. We got meal cards had breakfast, went down and booked night sledding for Saturday night. After all of that we layered up and got ready to head out for a day of skiing/snowboarding. We went to the shop picked out snowpants got fitted for boots picked up a board and then paid. I paid 130 Euro for all of that plus a ski pass, not bad about the same as it would be in Colorado, and THIS was in Switzerland! The other three girls got a lesson so I headed out with another girl in our room who was also boarding and we caught the bus, with Mike, luckily, and headed up the mountain. We followed the crowd and got on 2 different trains and then took a gondola up the sheer cliff of a mountain and then walked out onto the slopes we were about to take on. I was a little afraid, but I strapped on my board and we began our trip down. It literally took me an hour and a half to get down the mountain. I spent most of my time sitting on my but after taking some pretty major wipe outs. I enjoyed my time on the slopes though, just looking at the view. An instructor of another group finally told me that it would really probably be easier to just go onto the red slopes because they were wider and would be easier to handle on a board. I took his advice soon after, really I didn’t have much choice, the blue I had been on turned into a red. This is where the fun began, I had finally mastered how to go a little slower, but sometimes I got caught up and couldn’t turn my board back sideways. Once I ended up going backwards and then fell head over heels and lying in the snow. Luckily, I wasn’t hurt, but I really wished someone had caught that on tape…it would’ve been a real award winner. I finally made it down the hill and got onto the ski lift back to the top.

No comments: